New Boxing Notes : Some Weird & Some Interesting
- If you think James Toney is fine to box by looking at his twitter account. I can tell you that’s not actually him. He clearly has someone typing the statements for him and they are just as guilty as the commission if an accident happens if he continues to fight. Please check out our last post, it's depressing to see how much brain damage he has suffered from boxing.
- Levgen Khytrov won by 8th round TKO over Nick Brinson on Shobox on the weekend. I wasn’t sold on the prospect as Brinson won a lot of rounds before he tired. Sergiy Derevyanchenko on the other hand, looked good. This guy will be a champ over the next few years. His work rate, punch range and ring generalship is fantastic. He’s entertaining and I was impressed by him.
- Floyd Mayweather Jr still has his belts, which he promised to vacate for other fighters in May.
- David Haye vs BJ Flores is in the works for December. Haye will likely make the move to Al Haymon and he will fight Flores in a comeback bout. If he wins this fight they will look to pair him with Wilder in the summer of 2016.
- Shane Mosley vs Ricardo Mayorga had a fight at their press conference last week, it was so staged. In case you're wondering if you should order the Mosley fight. Just look at his last bout. He got bashed around the ring for 6 rounds against Anthony Mundine. Then quit with a sore back.
- Joseph Parker is fighting Kali Meehan next month. It shouldn’t last more than 2-3 rounds. It will be an interesting fight if Meehan can land some solid shots on Parker. My main concern with Parker is his chin.
- Petter Quillen’s next opponent is horrible. Some are claiming he’s a former stripper, according to boxingscene forum.